Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ridiculousness



Ridiculousness is a pretty ridiculous word. And so was paying for my bill at a restaurant this evening. I have been gifted an 'entertainment book', this allows for such discounts as 2 4 1 meals at certain places. So while out tonight with a bunch of pals I took advantage of the deal. When the time came to pay I casually addressed the maitre d' with my card and one of my friends and hoped to have the price of our two meals halved.

That could have been the end of this little story, but it goes much further. The lovely lady informed me that the discount could only be taken for the amount of the cheapest meal. "Alright" I said, and hoped to then just have to pay the difference between my meal and the cheapest one on top of my halved bill. But ridiculous as it sounds, was then told that I can't do that because the deal is only for the guest who ordered that cheap meal. "What? Can't I just get that discount accredited to my meal?" I suggest. Again I'm told that the discount can only be for that guests meal.

The guest with the cheapest meal was standing right behind me, ready and waiting to pay after the 2 4 1 deal had been completed. So I try, maybe for three, four, or even five minutes to explain how it is possible that our entire table still pays the same amount even though me and my chosen friend get the cheaper meals and not the friend with the cheapest meal. Confused at why this can not be and getting rather agitated I give up and say, "Fine, my 2 4 1 buddy and I will pay the full amount for our meals, and the other friend can just have her meal for free". Agreed to by the lady behind the till, the other friends meal is wiped off the bill.

So finally it is my time to pay. Unfortunately it looks as though me and my 2 4 1 friend will have to pay full amounts, when a stroke of genius in terms of explanation strikes me at the heart. I suggest to the lady that the friend who just received the free meal pays the equivalent of that free meal for my meal. Therefore passing on her discount to its rightful owners. The lovely lady, says "great that is fine". And the transactions are completed. With me left owing my 2 4 1 buddy a few dollars so that he still gets some of the deal.

I was completely taken back by this whole experience and slightly put off the restaurant by the incompetence of its maitre d'. But every cloud has its sliver lining, and this one so happens to be that the incompetence was very strong within this lady, and she also forgot to charge me for my drinks I had for the night.

So for this, I post a song I compiled a month or so ago, relaxing, atmospheric, and minimalistic, along with an equally calming picture taken from up the top of picturesque mountain, hopefully soothing any confusion this ridiculous story has conjured up.

Water Creatures - Sound of the Lake

1 comment:

Poms said...

Imagine, at the end of a really hard nights working for minimum wage, people have been dickheads all night but you have taken it, because its your job. And then some young, cocky kid wants to do something complicated with his bill. You don't really care, and really wish he would just sort it out himself.