Saturday, June 21, 2008

Becoming One With The Land




This weekend has brought an unexpected change in the lives of many. Our flat joined the new wave of economically and environmentally friendly homes that grow some of their own vegetables.

Although not uncommon for people to have their own vege garden, it is uncommon for people in the age bracket of 20-30 to have a vege garden. This age bracket is the product of an upbringing as to where all self sufficient tasks are taken care of by the mall, the supermarket or the slaves the capitalist pigs have taken advantage of to make our coffee[1], shoes and rugs. All for the purpose of giving our lives more free time, free time we use to watch television [2], or even worse, go shopping for goods that bring only false purpose into our lives. Enough.

I want my food, the fuel that keeps me alive, to be beneficial to the world. Not to have it trucked thousands of kilometers to my plate [3], not to have it sprayed and pumped with pesticides and preservatives, and definitely not at the cost of native forests.

Being from the useless generation of people who have had everything done for them, and have only learnt anything valuable but absolutely inaccurate from watching home renovation tv, we have started small with great ambitions so that we get it right.

Today I focus on step 1. The hardest of steps, overcoming the sitting around on my butt and doing some real man labour. So far, so good. A patch in our old overgrowing weed garden has been cleared. Some old recycled wooden crate has been pulled apart to provide a basic container to the patch, and the soil turned over, and mixed with some new composting soil. The seeds are now ready to be planted!

Over the coming weeks/months I will document the growth of the vege patch. While providing new music that is played to the vegetables to stimulate growth through love.

Here is the first song played to the garden. Its called Gas, as it is inspired by the fact that our petrol prices in New Zealand have risen at an alarming rate in the past few months. Be it a bad thing for the economy, but hopefully a good thing for the planet.

Water Creatures - Gas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed that track! It was a great mix.

The guitar was maybe a bit loud but it was still really enjoyable.

The other designers in my office also enjoyed it as I pumped it through the speakers.

Keep the hits coming.

Jonathan Phillips said...

The new track is incredible. Keep the magic rolling rdoc

Poms said...

I didn't listen to the track, because I am more concerned with your thoughts than your creative output. Not to belittle your creative output. It is amazing, I even put it on my ipod. But, more to focus on what really matters in this crazy world.

And you better not have actually planted my seeds. I was looking forward to it.